Wednesday, March 3, 2021

 I have been teaching college-level anthropology and sociology courses for the past seventeen years.  I completed my Master of Arts in Anthropology at Wayne State University in Detroit and my Master of Science in Biotechnology at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. I am currently a doctoral candidate in Social Science: Prevention Science at Wilmington University.  My area of focus is trauma-informed teaching and learning as a measure to promote student success.

 

My career has taking me into several domains, such as the clinical hospital setting, commercial labs, and higher education (faculty and student support services).  Although these areas may seem unconnected, there is an underlying theme of being part of a Helping Profession.  This is my passion, and it is one of the many reasons that I enjoy teaching social science courses at the college-level.  To me, one of the most important aspects of the social sciences is the ability to see others as they may see themselves (cultural relativism) and not how we "think they should be" (ethnocentrism).  Diversity and understanding differences may be the key to a more globally inclusive and resilient world. If I can help introduce and nurture these concepts in our communities, then I will feel that I have made a difference.


My current focus is on trauma-informed care and bringing this approach into higher education.  Many of have had traumatic experiences that have left lasting impacts (positive and negative) on our views of the world and how we conduct our lives.  Sometimes, we forget that others have had adverse experiences in which they cannot escape.  We need to be aware of our own trauma and that of others so that we can heal.


No comments:

Post a Comment